Is my child entitled to related services?

If your child requires certain related services in order to derive benefit from the classroom, he/she may be entitled to receive those services from the school district at no cost to the parent. School districts have been known to say “If the only service you need is [fill in the blank], then I’m sorry but we cannot give you anything.”

If your child has a disability that is interfering with his/her educational progress and he/she requires one or more related services in order to benefit from instruction, the district has an obligation to provide that support.

Whether your child attends private school should not have any bearing on his/her eligibility for related services. Children who attend private school are entitled to related services in the same manner as students attending public school in that district.

©Law Offices of Adam Dayan, PLLC

222 Broadway, 19th Floor
New York, New York 10038
Phone: (646) 866-7157
Fax: (646) 866-7541

Connect online:

  • Facebook Clean
  • Twitter Clean
  • Instagram

Sign-up for our mailing list: